GMarc Editions Compared and TEI XML Sample Released in First Gospel LODLIB v1.45

Today’s upload adds a significant new section to the internal Data Dictionary. DD 1.6 provides a tabular comparison of major editions of Marcion’s Gospel by Harnack, Roth, Klinghardt, Nicolotti, and myself. Thus far we have added verses, word counts, and attestation rates for the first few chapters. In future weeks, we plan to complete this table and add another section, 1.7, noting how specific linguistic features are rendered differently across these editions.

Even with the tabulations and calculations compiled thus far, the various methodological assumptions of the respective editors are already coming into focus. Klinghardt and Nicolotti consistently render more verses and more words within verses than do BeDuhn, Roth, or I. Harnack’s work is most closely followed by Roth, and both are minimalist renditions. Nicolotti follows Klinghardt most closely, and both are (overly) maximalist renditions (in my view). BeDuhn and I are moderate in our methods, attempting to render verses and words that were likely in GMarc even if not clearly attested by patristic witnesses, but not unnecessarily adding verses simply because they are present in Codex Bezae or have variant readings in the Luke manuscript tradition.

The other major addition to this version is a couple sample pages of TEI XML for Harnack’s version of Marcion’s Gospel. This sample is intended to give readers a preliminary sense of the XML structural and tagging conventions we plan to follow for our datasets.

On a related note, this week we submitted a book proposal to Brill’s Digital Biblical Studies (DBS) series, a book for which we plan to reserve the complete TEI XML files (as well as human readable Greek and lemmatized and morphologically tagged Greek) of all major editions of Marcion’s Gospel if that proposal is accepted. Otherwise we will likely self-publish them in this LODLIB after seeking for copyright permissions from the publishers of the respective editions.

For the sake of peer-review and peer-editing and consistency, DBS would be a great digital home for this work. Whether and how the datasets would be contained within the digital book pdf and/or in Brill’s FigShare repository will be up to the series editors and Brill, but I’m hoping we will be able to offer the datasets in both places to accommodate all possible use cases.

Regardless of how the book proposal turns out, we have started building a handy script in R Studio that will transform our morphological datasets into TEI XML, and another script that does about 50% of the work of transforming the human readable Greek into morphologically tagged Greek. Nothing like saving 10,000s of fairly redundant editorial steps by writing a few hundred lines of code. We may consider sharing these scripts eventually once they have matured from a few uses across several GMarc datasets.